This recipe is idyllic for Autumn, it’s sure to wow your guests and impress your nearest and dearest. Once the doughnuts are made the rest is super fun and simple, great for making with little ones. Have you seen our Autumn Essentials? Check them out here.
PREP: 20 MINUTES
(FOR THE GLAZE)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(FOR THE DOUGHNUT HOLES)
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
(FOR THE DECORATION)
- Fall themed sprinkles
- Stick Pretzels, broken in halves
- Deep-fry thermometer
- Small ice cream scoop
To make the Donut Holes:
- To make the glaze sift the confectioners sugar into a medium bowl. Stir in 3 tablespoons of milk and the vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth. If the glaze is too thick, stir in an additional tablespoon of milk, cover glaze with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to a Le Creuset Casserole dish (view here), leave at least 2 inches of the oil in the pot and at least 2 inches between the top of the oil and the top of the pot. Attach the deep-fry thermometer to the pot and begin heating the oil over medium heat to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and the egg.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir the milk-egg mixture into the dry ingredients, then stir in the melted butter, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Once the oil has reached 350ºF, use a small ice cream scoop to drop about 1 tablespoon scoops of dough into the oil, careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the doughnut holes, flipping them in the oil, for about 2 minutes or until they’re golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the doughnut holes to the paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Allow the doughnut holes to cool slightly. Place a cooling rack atop a baking sheet, then one by one, dip the doughnut holes into the glaze and transfer them to the rack to allow the excess glaze to drip off. Serve immediately.
To decorate the Donut Holes:
- Dump fall sprinkles in a small bowl. Lay down the wax paper in preparation for assembly of the acorns.
- Melt the Nutella slightly in a deep microwaveable bowl, around 15-20 seconds should work. Dip each donut hole halfway into the Nutella, then dip into the sprinkles. Place a stick pretzel, broken in half, into the top of the “acorn” and let cool on wax paper.
- Enjoy your adorable Autumn treats!