The team at Silver Mushroom continue to be amazed by the sheer quality of the recipes being shared with us by our lovely ‘Bake With Bake Off’ challenge participants.
Much to our delight, Week 4 was all about the desserts, so the sweet-toothed among us were eagerly anticipating the latest round of entries. We weren’t disappointed! This week’s winner is the lovely Hannah Bakes Things, who displayed no shortage of creativity and technical guile when coming up with her recipe for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.
For her troubles, Hannah will receive a Mason Cash Terracotta Bread Baking Mixing Bowl and Bake Stone Set – something that any aspiring baker needs in their cupboard. Without further ado, let’s talk you through the winning recipe in our #BWBO challenge.
To make 12 of these cupcakes, you’ll need:
• 110g of caster sugar
• 110g of butter
• 2 eggs
• 100g self-raising flour
• 1tsp of baking powder
• 1tsp of vanilla paste
• 1tbsp of milk
• 1 packet of Dr Oetker ‘Surprise Inside Lemon Centres’ (or 4-6 tbsp of lemon curd if you prefer)
For the meringue icing, you’ll require:
• 100g caster sugar
• 2 egg whites
Here’s how you make them:
1. Cream your butter and sugar together, before whisking in your milk and eggs. Once you’ve done so, start to gently sift in your flour and baking powder, stirring until you have a smooth batter. Don’t be tempted to throw all of your flour and baking powder in too quickly. Patience is key here!
2. Bake at 180C for around 15 minutes.
3. Once your cupcakes are cool enough to touch, you’ll need to pipe your lemon filling into each of them. We love it when the piping bag comes into play!
4. Now it’s time to make the meringue. Whisk your egg whites into soft peaks, before adding your sugar. You need to keep whisking these until they are stiff and glossy. If you’re not confident enough to turn the bowl upside down for fear of creating a mess on the floor, then keep whisking.
5. Get your piping bag out again (no baker should be without a decent piping set, and you can get one here). Squeeze the meringue mixture on top of each cake and give them a quick toasting with your blow torch (use your grill if you have no blow torch, but be careful).
6. Place the cakes in the fridge to set.
There you have it. 12 wonderful Lemon Meringue Cupcakes that are certainly worthy of Star Baker status.
The competition is really heating up in the Great British Bake Off Tent, and the standard of our BWBO entries continues to rise every week, too. Don’t miss out on episode five on Wednesday, which happens to be Alternative Ingredients Week. You can also join our weekly Twitter chat, which takes place once the show has finished at 9pm. Make sure you use the #BWBO hashtag and we’ll see you there!