With Mother’s Day right around the corner, we thought it was about time that we posted some delicious, giftable bakes. Since we can’t physically be with our loved ones on holidays such as Mother’s Day, baking a homemade treat is a thoughtful and lovely way to show you care.
We would like to stress that Rebecca & I (Emmie) are by no means professional bakers, we always get stuck in the trap of our creations tasting great and looking inedible or looking absolutely stunning and tasting rather terrible. Luckily, we now search high and low for super simple, easily to follow recipes that turn out beautiful and taste even better.
This beautiful Apple Pie recipe is nothing short of a classic. With a sweet, slightly cinnamon-y filling a buttery crust and gooey caramel blobs inside, this bake is perfect for a Mother’s Day treat. This recipe is inspired by Monika Hibbs and her beautiful toppings.
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 packets of Jus-Roll Shortcrust Pastry
- 12 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 150g Sugar
- Zest & juice of a Lemon
- 5 tsp Cinnamon
- 5 tsp Nutmeg
- Pinch of Ground Cloves
- 2 tbsp unsalted Butter
- 1 large Egg
- 100g of Dulce de Leche
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line your pie dish with 1 packet of pre-rolled pastry dough, chill for 30 mins.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice, the spices and the flour, stir well to combine. Toss well and spoon into the pastry lined pie dish.
- Dollop a few blobs of Dulce de Leche on top of the apples.
- Use the remaining pastry to create the beautiful topping, you will have to use some artistic licence here. We recommend cutting 4 or 5 strips of pastry an inch wide and 7 or 8 strips 1 cm wide, use the rest to create a braid. Cut two strips of plait for lining and use the remainder to rim the pie. Layer alternating strips to create the lattice pattern. This step is totally customisable, so design your pie however you would like.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for one hour, or until golden. Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes. Garnish with flowers or leave bare to showcase your beautiful pastry design.
- Serve with Vanilla ice-cream & enjoy!