Here at Silver Mushroom, we like to keep you all on your toes, in anyway we can. This Shrove Tuesday we are mixing things up and turning your standard pancakes into the glory that is a Crepe Cake. If you’ve never heard of one of these before, we won’t judge you, they are simply a stack of 40-50 super thin, delicious crepes piled upon one another with a smearing of filling between each layer to make a cake! This concept lends it’s self to pretty much any variation you fancy, the classic lemon and sugar, Nutella with strawberries, fresh cream, the options are endless. The recipe we have for you today, really is something special, with fluffy dulce de leche cream between each layer and a rich caramel sauce drizzled over the top. This recipe is adapted from Honestly Yum.
Ingredients for Crepes (makes a 25 layer cake, double for a 50 layer cake)
- 9 large eggs
- 375ml of whole milk
- 375g of cream cheese
- 192g flour
- 25g powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- zest of one lemon
Ingredients for Dulce de Leche Cream Filling
- 354ml of heavy whipping cream
- 115g granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, cut into little pieces
- 190ml + 1 tbsp evaporated milk
Directions for the Crepes:
- Firstly make the batter, combine all of the ingredients for the crepes in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Heat a 10″ non-stick frying pan on a low to medium heat. Ladle 60ml (1/4 cups) of batter into the pan and turn the pan to spread evenly, there is no need to grease before hand. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side until lightly browned.
- Once cooked place the crepe onto a piece of kitchen paper. Continue to make crepes and pile them up, each with kitchen paper between to stop them sticking. Do this until you have no more batter, leave the crepes to cook completely. Tip- use multiple pans to speed up the process.
Directions for the Cream Filling:
- In a large saucepan, over a medium high heat, heat the granulated sugar until the edges begin to melt. Once this happens stir with a rubber spatula, continue until all the sugar melts.
- Once all the sugar has melted, gently add the butter, it will start to bubble, continuously stir until all the butter has melted. Then add the evaporated milk in a slow drizzle while stirring the mixture.
- Stir until fully incorporated, allow to cook for 3 minutes. The sauce will rise up in the pan as it cooks. In the meantime, prepare a shallow water bath in your kitchen sink by filling with an inch or two of cold water.
- Take the sauce off the heat and carefully dip the bottom of the pan into the cold water bath. Stir with a rubber spatula to cool the sauce then pour into a heat proof container, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whilst cooling, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold in half of the Dulce de leche sauce until incorporated.
Directions for Constructing the Cake:
- Once everything has cooled completely, place the first crepe onto a cake stand. Place a small dollop of the cream filling onto the crepe and spread evenly. Continue adding layers of crepes and cream until you have used them all.
- Heat the remaining Dulce de Leche sauce and drizzle over the cake before serving. Enjoy!
One thought on “Dulce de Leche Crepe Cake Recipe”
Oh my lord, these are exactly what I need Ja!