This Gluten Free Angel Food Cake is simple to make with a blend of gluten free flours. It’s lightly sweetened, low-fat and delicious served with fresh fruit.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 364.5 g egg whites (about 10)
- 250 g granulated sugar divided
- 32 g cornstarch
- 40 g white rice flour
- 30 g tapioca starch
- 40 g potato starch
- 1.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 0.75 teaspoon salt
- 0.75 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.
- Using a food processor, process the granulated sugar until a fine powder forms- the granules will cut through your angel food cake and spoil the texture!
In a small bowl, combine 150g of the processed sugar with the cornstarch, white rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch together. Mix well. Set aside.
Next, add the cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat on a medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat on high until it forms stiff peaks
- Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in the flour mixture, half a cup at a time.
- Gently spoon the batter into an ungreased 10 inch angel food cake pan. Gently swirl a knife through the batter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake at 180 on the lowest oven rack for 40-45 minutes, or until the top looks slightly golden and dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately flip upside down and stand on three or 4 heat proof cups/glasses (equal in height) for support. You can also turn upside down on a wire rack for the same effect- this helps with the structure of the cake and is a vital step, see image below for directions.
- Allow cake to cool upside down for one hour, then slide a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Slice and serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream for a delicious, light dessert!