This Gluten Free Angel Food Cake is simple to make with a blend of gluten free flours. It’s lightly sweetened, low-fat and delicious served with fresh fruit.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 364.5 g egg whites (about 10)
- 250 g granulated sugar divided
- 32 g cornstarch
- 40 g white rice flour
- 30 g tapioca starch
- 40 g potato starch
- 1.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 0.75 teaspoon salt
- 0.75 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes at room temp.
- Using a food processor, process the granulated sugar until a fine powder forms- the granules will cut through your angel food cake and spoil the texture!
- In a small bowl, combine 150g of the processed sugar with the cornstarch, white rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch together. Mix well. Set aside.
- Next, add the cream of tartar, salt and vanilla to the egg whites. Beat on a medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time. Beat on high until it forms stiff peaks
- Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold in the flour mixture, half a cup at a time.
- Gently spoon the batter into an ungreased 10 inch angel food cake pan. Gently swirl a knife through the batter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake at 180 on the lowest oven rack for 40-45 minutes, or until the top looks slightly golden and dry.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately flip upside down and stand on three or 4 heat proof cups/glasses (equal in height) for support. You can also turn upside down on a wire rack for the same effect- this helps with the structure of the cake and is a vital step, see image below for directions.
- Allow cake to cool upside down for one hour, then slide a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Slice and serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream for a delicious, light dessert!