This recipe is inspired by the wonders of the Broma Bakery. These Cinnamon rolls are pillow soft, melt in the mouth delicious, and did we mention they’re gluten free and vegan?
- 1 packet of active dry rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour
For the Filling:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
For the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese*
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nondairy milk
- Combine the milk, sugar and yeast in a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. The mixture should foam, singling that the yeast is active.
- Add the melted butter and 1 cup of the gluten free flour. Mix until just combined. Add in remaining flour and mix until the dough forms a ball and comes together. Turn the dough out onto a heavily floured surface and knead for 15 minutes or until the dough is mostly smooth.
- Coat a large bowl with oil and place the dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm area to proof for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Lightly grease a 9 inch round baking pan. Set both aside.
- After 1 hour, look at the dough. The dough should be doubled in size. Turn the dough out onto a liberally floured work surface. Roll the dough out into an 9 x 13 inch rectangle. The dough will be thick. This is what you want. Spread the melted butter over the dough, coating it evenly, all the way to the edge. Sprinkle on the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture and rub into the butter to combine.
- Working from the long edge, roll the dough into a log, pinching the ends so it stays together. Using a serrated knife or dental floss(even better!), cut the dough into 8 equal buns. Place into prepared pan.
- Allow dough to rise a second time. Cover the pan with a cloth and let rest in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the cinnamon buns are golden brown on top.
- While the cinnamon rolls are baking, make the cream cheese frosting. Combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.
- Once the cinnamon rolls are out of the oven, cool for 10 minutes. Microwave the frosting for 10-15 seconds to thin it out slightly, then spread over warm cinnamon rolls and serve!