As a nation, we are huge bread fans, it is a staple in many of our diets; but how many of us actually bake our own? You may find the thought daunting and somewhat intimidating, as it does sound very complex and tricky and time consuming. Rest assured, we are here to put an end to your loaf struggles and help you on the way to creating your very own masterpieces and in just 1 hour!
I don’t need to go into why homemade bread is so much better for you, as I’m sure you’ve heard it all before. So it turns out that if you ditch all the preservatives and nasty unnecessary ingredients that you might find in your shop bought bread the homemade stuff can actually taste a whole lot better.
These soft, fluffy dinner rolls are best when warm, with lashings of butter. Why not give them a go!
Bit’s and bobs to help you make your Dinner Rolls:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water 110 degrees F/45 degrees C
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a small measuring cup or bowl. Let sit 5 minutes or until frothy.
Using a large mixing bowl and fitted with flat beater combine yeast mixture, butter salt, egg and 2 cups flour. Mix together. Once fully combined switch to dough hook and scrape down sides of the bowl. Increase speed to medium. After 2 minutes, add additional 2 cups of flour.
- Knead for another 3-5 minutes or until dough comes together and is smooth. It should slap sides of the bowl and stick to the bottom.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 20 -30 minutes.
- Lightly flour a smooth work surface. Plop dough down and gently flatten to a ½ inch or so rectangle. Divide into 20 equal pieces using a pizza cutter or dough scraper.
- Roll each piece into a smooth round ball. Use the palm of your hand to roll gently until it pulls together.
- Arrange dough balls in a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan and cover with a kitchen towel. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Let rolls rise until doubled, about 20 minutes. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with butter!
Thank you for reading, we hope you enjoyed this simple Dinner Roll recipe. Please tag us in any photos if you make these rolls!