Entertaining friends this summer? Cook up some flavourful dishes that let you honestly say ‘I made this!’ Kilner’s latest product, the butter churner, is an absolute must-have this summer and gives you the power to transform your recipes with intense flavour.
Ditch processed spreads and jarred sauces in favour of something much more indulgent that is sure to wow your guests. Using the Kilner butter churner, you can create a totally custom taste to transform traditional summer treats. All you need is 300ml of cream, a touch of creativity and a little bit of elbow grease (not literally of course!)
1) Take 300ml whipping cream and allow to stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
2) Make sure your butter churner is clean and dry. If this is the first time you are using it, rinse in warm soapy water before drying thoroughly.
3) Remove the lid from your butter churner and pour the 300ml whipping cream into the glass jar. Place the lid back on and push down to create a seal. Turn the wooden handle to begin the churning process.
4) After a couple of minutes of churning, you will notice that your cream begins to foam, this is completely normal.
5) Continue to churn for another 5-6 minutes and the cream will start to thicken, becoming very thick after 8-10 minutes.
6) After 10-12 minutes the churning will become quite stiff, but then ease off again after another minute. Your cream should turn a pale yellow and separate to form butter and buttermilk.
7) Remove the lid and pour the excess milk into a drinking glass. Buttermilk is useful in lots of other recipes, so you may want to hang on to this!
8) Pour the butter into a mixing bowl and pour cold water over the top. You can add ice to help this process if you wish. With clean hands, massage the butter, squeezing out any excess buttermilk. Repeat this process twice.
Once you’ve done this, you’re ready to add your flavouring! Whilst classic salted butter is a great option for everyday luxury, your creation deserves a little something extra…
There are plenty of unique recipes to try so you might get carried away! Here are a few of our favourites…
Garlic & parsley – Perfect for mushroom skewers, this delicious combo is an excellent choice for BBQs, particularly if you’re entertaining vegetarians. Pre-roast your garlic by chopping a full bulb in half horizontally. You won’t need the whole thing for your butter, but you can keep the leftovers aside for puree.
Add roughly-chopped parsley leaves and 2 cloves of your roasted garlic for an earthy herbal hit.
Sweet chilli – For a touch of fiery flavour, why not try our recipe for sweet chilli butter? The beauty of this great tasting spread is that you choose exactly how spicy you’d like the butter to be, gently balancing the sugar and chilli flakes.
To create this taste sensation, you’ll need to beat a teaspoon of sugar, one clove of garlic and some chilli flakes in a pestle and mortar. You’ll be left with a fine seasoning for your butter that will beautifully blend with the creamy texture.
Used on BBQ or roasted chicken, the sugar will caramelise on the skin during the cooking process for a decadent finish.
Cinnamon – Sweetened butter goes far beyond thick buttercream, you can easily use your butter churner to add a homemade twist to desserts. Adding a touch of cinnamon and half a teaspoon of icing sugar gives your butter a sweetened edge. Perfect for dunking mini donuts and spreading on biscuits, this velvety dessert is great for sharing!
So there you have it, three luxurious recipes that will completely transform your al fresco dining experience this summer!