This casserole might just be the most satisfying thing we’ve ever tasted. The best thing about it? It’s ridiculously easy to cobble together, and the results are out of this world. The recipe was created by celebrity chef duo Billy & Jack, it’s perfect for that Friday night comfort food we all need (and deserve) so badly after a long week, or serve this up at your next foodie-soiree and lap up the admiration of your guests!
This recipe requires one Heritage Dish, get yours here.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1 shop-bought roasted, pulled BBQ pork shoulder (500g)
4 tbsp kimchi, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
3 tbsp Gochujang paste or Sriracha sauce
5 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tbsp sesame oil
100ml chicken stock
For the cornbread:
100g plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 heaped tsp salt
1 heaped tsp sugar
2 large eggs
500ml buttermilk or yoghurt
100g butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Fan 180°C/ Gas Mark 4
- Mix the pulled pork with the kimchi, 2 tablespoons of the gochujang paste, soy sauce, sesame oil and stock, stir to combine and spread in a single layer in the dish.
- Mix the remaining gochujang paste with the mayonnaise and set aside.
- For the cornbread, mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar) and set aside. Whisk together the eggs with the buttermilk or yoghurt and the butter. Then combine the dry ingredients into the wet and stir gently to bring together, being careful not to overwork.
- Top the pulled pork with an even layer of the cornbread batter and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden on top and bubbling around the edges.
- Serve in slices with a good dollop of kimchi and the Gochujang mayonnaise, and if you like a coriander, cucumber and spring onion salad.