With Mothers day right around the corner, we thought it was a great time to pull out the big guns and supply you all with some fabulous cake recipes that we’re confident your Mum will love.
This velvety soft cake is melt in the mouth delicious and surprisingly simple to make. We have developed this recipe from the lovely blog I Bake He Shoots.
Makes a 2-layer, 6 inch cake
- 160g self raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 160g sugar
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 180ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest of one medium lemon
For the Frosting:
- 200g powdered sugar
- 113g unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease & line two 6 inch cake pans.
- In a little bowl, mix together the lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the sugar until it is combined and fragrant, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the vegetable oil, egg and remaining sugar until its light and fluffy (5 mins).
- Add in the zest and sugar mixture.
- In another bowl combine the vanilla and lemon juice with buttermilk, add to the oil and sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Fold in the remaining dry ingredients to the west mixture, try not to over mix.
- Divide the batter evening between the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix the powdered sugar, with the unsalted butter until light and fluffy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice. Mix for another minute.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of poppyseeds.
- Fill and frost completely cooled cake layers.