Your whole dinner wrapped up in one, this special toad in the hole incorporates your vegetables into the dish too – so all you need is gravy! The ideal midweek meal that is still a great family-favourite!
To make this delicious dinner you will need a Le Creuset heritage dish, check out our selection here.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
150g plain flour
2 large eggs
Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
100g Tenderstem broccoli
1 red onion, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 200⁰C/ Fan 180⁰C/ Gas Mark 6
- Place the chipolatas in the dish along with half the oil. Bake the sausages until golden this will take approximately 10 minutes and the oil should be hot.
- In a jug lightly whisk the eggs before sieving in the flour and whisking to form a thick paste. Still whisking, slowly pour in the milk to form a thick, lump-free batter. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Once the sausages are cooked remove them from the dish and place to one side. Add the remaining oil to the warm dish and return to the oven for 5 minutes to get hot.
- Once hot, carefully slide the dish out of the oven (at this point you want to work quickly) replace the sausages and add in the broccoli, onions and peas. Quickly pour in the batter and return the dish to the oven.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the batter has risen and turned golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and serve immediately alongside gravy and more vegetables for a more substantial meal.
- Have all your ingredients ready and try and work quickly when you are pouring in the batter. This will ensure the oil stays hot and you get a good rise on your batter.