So you’ve got your Mum that gorgeous bunch of flowers and a little treat of some sort, but you feel you need more. A home cooked brunch is just the thing you need, to make her feel that extra little bit of love. Plus you get a tasty brekky out of it!
This recipe is a modern (Avocado) twist on the timeless classic that is Eggs Benedict. The breakfast of all breakfasts, just think about that runny yolk swirling with the melty Hollandaise sauce all soaked up by that fluffy muffin bottom… Cook up the Mother’s Day storm in one of our Le Creuset Pans, view here!
Firstly, make the Avocado Hollandaise sauce.
- 1 medium Ripe Avocado
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup Hot Water
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, puree avocado, lemon juice, lime juice, olive oil, water, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth and light.
- Add a little more hot water if the consistency is too thick. \Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Then for the main event.
- 2 Whole Wheat English Muffins, Cut in half and toasted
- 4 Eggs, Poached
- 1 large Fresh Tomato, Thinly sliced
- 1/2 Ripe Avocado, Thinly sliced
- 1 cup Uncooked Spinach
- Avocado Hollandaise Sauce (that you just made)
- Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- While the water is coming to temperature, make an ice bath in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add spinach to the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until wilted.
- Remove with a slotted spoon or spider and transfer to the ice bath to stop the cooking. Drain the spinach, squeezing out any excess water from the leaves.
- Poach the eggs in the sauce pan, view a super easy way to do this here. Whilst the eggs are cooking, toast your muffins.
- To assemble the eggs Benedict, top the toasted English muffin halves with spinach, followed by a slice of tomato and a few slices of avocado.
- Place a poached egg on top and spoon over the avocado hollandaise.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
- Serve immediately.
Voila, there you have it, a super easy, healthy take on Eggs Benedict! Surprise your Mum with this treat on Sunday morning and give her a Mother’s Day she’ll remember for years to come.
Wishing you all a very happy Mother’s day.
With love, the team at Silver Mushroom