With Autumn well upon us we thought we’d bring you some delicious and wholesome recipes. This Pumpkin Pasta recipe is the perfect cosy night in dinner, perfect for the whole family and a great way to use up that left over pumpkin flesh from all your carvings. This delicious fall inspired pasta with roasted squash, pasta shells and a thyme-infused garlic cream sauce combines roasted veggies with a creamy luscious sauce. All the preparation for this recipe is done in 15 minutes then you can sit back, relax and enjoy a mulled cider (other festive beverages are available) whilst your dinner roasts. We were inspired by the lovely blog Family Style Food for this recipe.
We strongly recommend roasting your squash in a quality casserole dish, shop our all time favourite Le Creuset Casseroles here.
- 2 pounds kabocha squash or butternut squash
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 whole garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 sprigs thyme, plus 1 teaspoon chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces dried pasta shells
- 1 1/2 cups baby kale or spinach leaves
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 205 degrees C.
- Combine the squash and onion in your Le Creuset Casserole dish. Toss with olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 10 or 12 grinds of black pepper. With the lid on bake for 25 minutes. Remove the lid and stir the squash around with a spatula. Roast 15 minutes more, or until the squash is tender and lightly browned.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan. Drop in the garlic cloves and thyme sprigs and bring to a simmer – lower the heat and watch that it doesn’t boil over. Simmer 20 minutes, until the cream is slightly reduced and the garlic is soft. Remove from the heat and steep 10 minutes, then remove the garlic and thyme. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl with the butter and keep warm.
- Bring a 6 quart pot of water to a boil with 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and add to the bowl with the sauce.
- Add the squash and baby greens to the bowl and gently stir everything together until evenly coated with the sauce. Serve with the remaining cheese and chopped thyme sprinkled over the top.