It may come as a surprise to you but in a recent survey us Brits got to voting for our favourite cake. Like most people, we we’re expecting the classics like Victoria’s Sponge or a classic Fruit Cake to take the crown, however results proved quite interesting. The clear winner was Lemon Drizzle Cake! Such a simple bake, with it’s soft fluffy sponge and that crispy icing top, it just wins every time (for us anyway!).
We’ve done some research, as the nation’s favourite cake deserves (what we assume to be) the nations greatest recipe! There are many variations of the Lemon Drizzle recipe, but we just kept coming across this particular recipe and after a test run we could see why.
Fun Fact- did you know that for any basic sponge recipe you take the weight of an egg in flour, butter & sugar, doubled, tripled etc!
Lemon Drizzle Cake Recipe
For the cake:
- 3 Large eggs (170g)
- 170g self raising flour
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g unsalted butter
- zest of 2 lemons
For the Drizzle:
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 110g powderd sugar
- Grease a loaf tin (24cm x 10.4cm) and pre-heat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Cream your butter and sugar together until fluffy, add in your eggs one by one. Fold in your flour and lemon zest.
- Pour into loaf tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. Check cake by inserting a skewer into the middle, if it comes out clean it is done, if not give it a few more minutes in the oven.
- While the cake bakes, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Using skewer poke holes all over the cake, all the way down to the bottom. Pour over your glaze and leave to cool and set.
There you have it, your very own perfect Lemon Drizzle cake. Best enjoyed with a nice cup of tea, more than one slice is recommended!