Calling all our chocoholics, this one is for you! Brown butter brownies are the next new thing and we are not surprised in the slightest- they. are. incredible. Now, brown butter is not traditionally used when making brownies, but it is the key to making a perfectly soft, gooey batch of chocolatey goodness! The slightly nutty, warm, caramel notes of the brown butter elevate this fudgy brownie to next level status and will have them disappearing off your cake stand before you know it.
This brownie recipe is as simple as they come and is extremely quick to whip up in a hurry when that chocolate craving strikes! We don’t know about you, but to us, theres nothing better than homemade treats. So, follow this step by step guide and stock up on some new bakeware for the occasion. Shop our brimming bakeware collection here.
Before jumping straight into the recipe, take a minute to learn how to make the brown butter. This extra step will take around 5-ish minutes and will guarantee you a super tasty batch.
Step 1: Melt the butter in your SMEG Saucepan over a medium heat. Stir every minute or so until fully melted.
Step 2. As the butter melts it will start to foam and you’ll want to stir it a bit more frequently while keeping one eye on the pan at all times. Keep stirring and watch for golden brown bits to form in the pan.
Step 3: Once the butter turns a beautiful, toasty brown colour the crackling sound will stop and you’ll smell a toasted, nutty aroma that is just heavenly. You’re looking for a golden brown, amber colour in the center of the pan.
Step 4. Remove the pan from the stove top and carefully transfer the hot butter to a bowl. Done!
. 226g Salted Butter, Browned
. 200g Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
. 2 TBSP Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
. 1 TBSP Vanilla
. 3 Eggs
. 300g Granulated Sugar
. 120g All Purpose Flour
1. Firstly, preheat oven to 170°C degrees, then line and grease your 9″ x 9″ baking tin.
2. Prepare the delicious brown butter using the step by step guide provided above. Immediately after, stir in the chocolate chips, cocoa powder and vanilla. Continue to stir until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is glossy. Set aside to cool for 8-10 minutes.
3. Next, using your Retro Style Smeg Stand Mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the eggs and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Once the chocolate and butter mixture is slightly cooled, carefully stream it into the bowl while continue to beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed. Once all of the chocolate has been added, continue to beat for about 30 seconds until combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45 minutes. The brownies may puff up in the center while baking but will deflate slightly as they cool. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. The toothpick should come out almost clean, with just a few crumbs remaining.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. Tip: Store in a cool, dry place.
And there you have it, the guide to making the most delicious brownies, ever! Brownies are a hot commodity in our home and with this recipe, we’re sure they will be in yours too. We hope this brownie recipe was useful and be sure to let us know in the comments if you give it a go.
Best Wishes, Poppy x