A heart-shaped custard tart, ideal for celebrating a special occasion as it can be made a day ahead to save time. Decorate with cherries and a sprinkling of icing sugar or chocolate dipped fruit for extra indulgence. Shop the Le Creuset Heart Shaped Dish here.
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes plus overnight chilling
Serves: 6-8 people
150g plain flour
20g caster sugar
75g salted butter
50ml cold water
125ml cold water
4 large eggs
190g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
15g apricot jam
100g white chocolate
100g dark chocolate
To make the pastry
- Place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. Blend until the butter and flour form a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add the cold water and blend again until the mixture forms a dough. Remove from the processor and wrap in cling film, leave to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to an even thickness and carefully line the Heart Tart Dish.
To make the filling
- Ensure the oven rack is in the centre of the oven and pre-heat to 180°C/ Fan 160°C/ Gas Mark 4.
- Mix the milk and water together in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and cornflour in a large bowl until light and frothy. Add the warm milk mixture slowly and mix well.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring continuously until the custard is a thick pouring consistency.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little. Pour the warm custard into the lined tart dish and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Then place in the refrigerator overnight to set. Brush a layer of melted apricot jam on the top of the tart before serving.
- Top the custard tart with cherries and dust with icing sugar for a speedy finish.
- For a more decorative look dip the cherries in dark and white chocolate melted gently in separate bain-maries. Place each cherry on a baking tray lined with baking paper to set before adding to the tart.
Used 250g ready-made pastry to save time.
Decorate with other seasonal berries such as raspberries, strawberries or blueberries or chocolate curls.