The rich umami flavours of the white miso work perfectly with tasty chicken thighs. Crisping and caramelising nicely in the oven, this Japanese-inspired chicken is served with roasted tenderstem broccoli and finished with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 600g baby potatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon mirin
- 3 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on
- 240g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C Fan/ Gas Mark 6.
- Place the baby potatoes in the rectangular dish and put into the preheated oven whilst you prepare the marinade.
- Combine the miso, sesame oil, mirin, honey and soy sauce and gently whisk to mix all the ingredients.
- Score the chicken thighs and coat in the marinade. Carefully remove the potatoes from the oven and place the marinated chicken on top. Roast for 35 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven, add the broccoli stems and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is crispy and caramelised, the potatoes are cooked through and the broccoli is just roasted.
- This chicken carries great flavour, even cold. Use any leftovers for lunch the next day – shred the meat off the bone and fold into a wrap along with crunchy vegetables like cucumber, radish, carrot and lettuce, served alongside chilli mayo.