The days of those thick soups and stews are over and with the warmer months come salads and light bites to help you squeeze into that swimsuit. Here at Silver Mushroom we’ve searched high and low to find you some of the best recipes to get you looking beach ready.
Seafood is perfect for a summer sizzler – low in calories and a tasty snack to enjoy in the sun. Reminiscent of an evening spent on the coast of Thailand, crab cakes are the perfect oriental light bite. Follow this simple recipe to keep your belly full but your waistline small.
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 teaspoons crème fraîche
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons piment d’Espelette
- 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs), divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil (for cooking; about 5 tablespoons)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
Place eggs, crabmeat, lemon zest, lemon juice, chives, crème fraîche, mayonnaise, piment d’Espelette, and ⅔ cup panko in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Gently stir until mixture comes together (it will be slightly wet). Cover and chill until cold, about 30 minutes.
Place remaining panko in a shallow bowl. Using wet hands, form about 2 Tbsp. crab mixture into a ¾”-thick cake. Repeat to make about 20 cakes. Coat in panko, pressing gently to adhere.
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet over medium. Working in a few batches and adding 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet in between, cook until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season with salt.
Serve crab cakes with mayo and lemon wedges and enjoy!