We’re jumping on the Sauerkraut band wagon, since Kilner brought out the Fermentation Set we can’t stop! After a big weekend there’s nothing better to get your immune system back in good working order than this Probiotic Beetroot and Red Cabbage Sauerkraut! Loaded with good bacteria, this recipe will make you feel much better in no time, best stored in the Kilner Round 2 Litre Clip Top Jar!
- ½ medium red cabbage head finely diced
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 inch ginger piece, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and sprinkle the salt all over. Use your hands to scrunch the salt into the vegetables and leave for a few hours, mixing occasionally, until the juices collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture into clean glass Kilner jars and press down really well. If the juices don’t completely cover the mixture, add more salted water (1 tsp sea salt to 1 cup of water). Make sure you leave around 1.5” headspace between the top of the jar and the liquid.
- Cover with a cabbage leaf and pack it down again. Put the lid on and leave it loosely fastened or if using a clip top, don’t fully fasten the clip.
- Leave out on your worktop for 3-7 days (the longer you leave it the stronger the taste so if its your first time, we recommend 3 days.).
- Once you have finished fermenting, seal tightly and keep in the refrigerator until chilled. It’s now ready to eat and will keep in the fridge for months (if it lasts that long!).
Be sure to share your pictures of your Probiotic Beetroot and Red Cabbage Sauerkraut on our facebook page #Silvermushroom30-dayChallenge!
Click here to go back to the competition.