These brownies are a dream for anybody with a sweet tooth. This recipe has a 1:1 ratio of brownies to cookie dough, although if you want a little less cookie dough then just make half the quantities listed below. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature or almost melted
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- additional miniature chocolate chips, if desired (to sprinkle on top)
PREPARE THE BROWNIE LAYER:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9-inch pan, then line with a strip of parchment paper so that it covers the bottom and comes up two sides of the pan. Grease the parchment too.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate chips, microwave in 30 second bursts until melted and smooth. Whisk in the sugars, then whisk in the eggs, vanilla and salt. Sift flour into the bowl and stir that in too. Scrape the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the brownie layer is cooked through (toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean).
PREPARE THE COOKIE DOUGH LAYER:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter, sugars and salt until soft and creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Mix in the milk and vanilla. Sprinkle in the flour and mix in until combined. Stir in the 1 cup of chocolate chips. Scoop the cookie dough onto the top of the brownies and spread onto the brownie layer. It’s easiest to do this if the brownie layer is chilled and firm. Wet your hands or spray them with nonstick spray and pat the cookie dough on top in an even layer. Sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top to create a nicer, visual appearance. For easy, clean cutting, chill the brownies (wrap the brownies with plastic wrap and chill until firm- 1 to 2 hours or up to 2 days).
CUT THE BROWNIES:
- Run a knife along the sides of the brownie pan and then use the parchment paper to lift the brownies from the pan and onto a cutting board. Slice the brownies with a sharp knife, wiping the knife with a paper towel between cuts. If you’d like all of your slices of brownies to look clean-cut without edges, use the knife to cut the sides of the brownies off before cutting pieces. Keep brownies slices covered and chilled until ready to serve.