Who doesn’t love nuttella? It’s packed with chocolaty and hazelnutty goodness, unfortunately it’s also packed full of sugars and sweeteners. Give this Vegan Nuttella recipe a whirl and you’ll be nuts about your homemade nuttella! The great thing about doing it your self is that you can customize this recipe however you like, add spices, flavourings, nuts and even chia seeds; the options are endless.
- 3 cups (415 g) raw or roasted unsalted hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup (96 g / 3.4 ounces) dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and add hazelnuts to a baking sheet in a single layer. If raw, roast for a total of 12-15 minutes. If already roasted, roast for 8-10 minutes just to warm the natural oils and loosen the skins. This will make it easier to blend into butter.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then transfer to a large kitchen towel and use your hands to roll the nuts around and remove most of the skins (see photo). You want to get as much as possible off because it yields a creamier Nutella. But it doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Leaving excess skin behind, add hazelnuts to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend on low until a butter is formed – about 8-10 minutes total – scraping down sides as needed.
- In the meantime, heat the chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave in 30 second increments. Set aside.
- Once the hazelnut butter is creamy and smooth, add the melted chocolate, sea salt, and vanilla. Blend/puree again until well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt or vanilla if desired.
- If your Nutella isn’t sweet enough, add 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup or agave. NOTE: Just know the more liquid sweetener you add the firmer/stiffer the Nutella will get, so add sparingly.
- Transfer to a Kilner jar and store at room temperature for everyday use for 2-3 weeks or more.
Be sure to share your pictures of your Vegan Nuttella concoctions on our facebook page #Silvermushroom30-dayChallenge!
Click here to go back to the competition.