As summer approaches, your grills will begin blazing and drinks will be flowing for nights of fun with your friends and family. As you prepare the essentials, the food, the ice and the bubbly, something inevitably may slip the mind. For someone with a major sweet tooth, like us, dessert is always at the top of our list but if you find yourself forgetting, then this quick yet tasty recipe has you covered.
Whether you are a baker or not, this recipe is great for all and may be the one to save the day! It’s basically a grilled, fluffy sponge cake topped with some sweet, warm blueberries. You may be wondering why on earth you would grill cake, but trust us, its the perfect combination that you didn’t know you needed. It adds to the deliciousness of this sweet cake and adds those beautiful stripes of caramelisation – definitely insta worthy if you care about those sorts of things!
There is nothing like homemade treats and so stick with us and stock up on some new bakeware for the occasion! Whether you love to whip up your bakes in a classic stoneware mixing bowl or you prefer to save the hassle and use a stand mixer or electric whisk, take a look at our collection out here.
- 4 Slices of Angel Food Cake
- 1 Cup of Fresh Blueberries
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Fresh Mint Leave – Plus Extra For Garnish
- Vanilla Ice cream or Frozen Yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 218 degrees C.
2. Add the blueberries to your shallow Baking Dish and sprinkle with the sugar. Add to the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, tossing once, or until the blueberries begin to burst and release their juices.
3. Remove from the oven and add the lemon juice and mint ribbons. Mix to combine.
4. Add the angel food cake slices to a grill heated to medium-high heat. Grill for 1-2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Turn and continue to grill on the other side for the same time. Set aside.
5. Spoon the blueberries over the grilled angel food cake and serve with your favourite ice cream or frozen yogurt.
And there you have it, a recipe even the worst of us bakers can manage! This treat makes for the perfect way to end your summer evening get togethers and will have your guests talking for days. Be sure to let us know if you make this recipe in the comments below or by tagging us on our socials. Enjoy!
Love Poppy x