This breakfast dish combines the classic English fry-up with the Middle Eastern tomato and egg dish, shakshuka. Cooked all in one pan, the eggs are gently poached in harissa-spiced tomatoes, perfect for dipping your chipolatas in the yolk.
For this recipe you will need the 24cm non-stick Chef’s Pan by Le Creuset, view here.
This recipe serves 2 people.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Oil, for frying
- 4 chipolata sausages
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1-2 teaspoons harissa paste, depending on taste/ hotness required
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 6 on-the-vine tomatoes
- Bread, to serve
- Heat a dash of oil in the Chef’s Pan over a medium heat. Prick the sausages and place in the pan. Fry until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Add another dash of oil if required and fry the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure the garlic does not burn.
- Add the harissa, cinnamon and cumin to the pan and fry for a further 1 minute to combine with the onions and garlic. Tip in the tinned tomatoes, stir and allow to gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make two small wells in the tomato sauce and crack each of the eggs into the holes. Return the sausages to the pan along with the vine tomatoes. Put on the lid and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes until the eggs have turned white and cooked through, but still with a runny yolk.
- Serve at the table in the pan alongside chunky toast and a crack of black pepper.
- Harissa comes in various spice levels, choose the one that suits your personal taste.