Vegetable Swirls with English Pesto Recipe
These adorable little Vegetable Swirls are a must make for your next dinner party, or even as a healthy treat on the side of your mid-week evening meal. These pretty vegetable swirls are a beautiful addition to the table. Make the pesto in advance for a quick yet impressive side dish, simply bake in the oven and serve straight to the table.
Make a statement with the Le Creuset Petite Casserole Dishes, shop them here.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the Pesto
1 garlic clove, crushed
100ml rapeseed oil
100g cheddar cheese, grated
60g parsley, roughly chopped
For the Swirls
8 sun-dried tomatoes
1 large courgette
Red cabbage, separated into leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/ Fan 160˚C/ Gas Mark 4.
- First make the pesto. Put all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Season to taste and spoon a tablespoon of pesto into the bottom of each Stoneware Petite Casserole.
- Using a mandolin or a Y-shaped peeler, make long strips of carrot and courgette. Take the red cabbage leaves and slice them into strips the same width as the courgette and carrot.
- Lay two sun-dried tomatoes on top of the pesto in each casserole. Take the vegetable strips and roll them into a swirl, alternating between vegetables and tucking the start of the next strip into the last to overlap. Place the swirl on top of the sun-dried tomatoes.
- Brush the swirl with a little oil and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the vegetables have cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
- Struggling with swirling the vegetables? On a clean surface, lay out a strip of carrot, then overlap a strip of courgette at the end, and then finally the red cabbage slice. Continue the vegetable strip with another carrot, courgette and red cabbage slice. Then starting with the carrot, roll the long vegetable strip up into a coil. Place the coil in the casserole then the outer layers of vegetables are easier to add individually.