It’s Bank Holiday weekend, if you hadn’t already heard, and the weather is all set to be beautiful. As a Brit, I understand the importance of al fresco dinning the second the sun shines. We must make the most of the weather, and a D.I.Y taco party is the absolute best way to do so! We love a BBQ, of course, but since this weekend it is Cinco De Mayo we thought we would put a little Mexican twist on things.
The best thing about a taco party is that there is very minimal prep and nobody needs to slave away over the grill for the duration of the meal. Taco’s are a fuss free crowd pleaser, you can adjust the elements of the recipe according to your preferences. The serving element of this recipe is super important, you could just pop the ingredients in metal cartons and have done with it but there will be 0 wow factor until your guests are away from the ugly serving table and tucking in. Amp up the charm by simply presenting the elements in matching bowls, we have a selection of slate platters, mini serving bowls and serving benches that would be perfect to add a little quirky twist to your table. Check out our suggestions here.
So, without further ado, here are our step by step instructions on how to throw the perfect D.I.Y Taco Party this Bank Holiday!
What you will need:
4-6 servings, adjust accordingly
- 1 pack of Taco shells (can be soft or corn tortillas, the choice is yours)
- Sour cream
- 1 tin Refried beans
- 2 cups Grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Asian Slaw**
**can be homemade using recipe of choice, for ease, we have used shop bought.
For the chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin , divided
- Salt & pepper , to taste
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow onion , peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (3-layer stacks)
- Skewers (if wooden, soaked in water)
- To prepare the chicken. Preheat grill to a medium heat. In a large bowl, mix together lime zest, cumin, salt, pepper. Put the chicken pieces into the bowl and toss to coat.
- Thread chicken and onions onto the skewers, brush with oil and place under the grill for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, empty the refried beans into a pan and heat according to the cooking instructions. Once heated place into a serving bowl.
- Empty the guacamole, salsa, asian slaw, sour cream and the cheese into individual serving bowls.
- Once the chicken is cooked, pull out the skewers and slide chicken & onions onto a large platter
- Finally, heat your choice of taco shells according to the packet instructions.
- Once everything is plated up, invite your guests to come and craft their own taco’s
We hope you’ve been inspired to go ahead and throw your own Taco Party. Let us know how you get on by tagging us in your posts so we can see them! Here are our social media networks: